Man shot in front of his baby daughter before dying in hospital

The City of Brampton is mourning the death of a man who was shot in his car nearly one week ago and died Wednesday night. Const. Dale Ashton said that officers with the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) found and took the body of 42-year-old Yadusef Khunzam from a home in North Finch, not far from where he was shot. Ashley has been placed on desk duty following the investigation. The SIU is investigating the circumstances of Mr. Khunzam’s death.

His friends and co-workers shared their condolences on social media. “He was a hard working man who just wanted the opportunity to put his skills to work for our city and community,” Ron James, a friend, wrote on Facebook. “So many doors opened to me because of him and he is sadly missed. RIP.”

In late May, Mr. Khunzam was driving on McKerron Avenue when a passenger in a black Jeep fired shots at him from the passenger-side window. The 38-year-old driver, another resident in the area, was also shot in the hand and stabbed at least once, according to Toronto Police. When officers arrived, they found Mr. Khunzam shot multiple times. They then took the passenger in the Jeep into custody for “an outstanding warrant,” according to police spokesman Constable David Hopkinson.

In a statement Thursday, Inspector Eric Bale said that in the early hours of May 31 “a person who was very well known to police … lunged out of a dark-coloured Jeep and fired shots at the victim.” The head of the homicide squad, Detective Paul Brownlow, added: “The totality of circumstances raises a number of questions about the chain of events that led to this murder.” Toronto Police is providing assistance to the SIU.

A witness told the Toronto Star that he saw a large, tan Jeep with Ontario license plates speed away from the scene after shots were fired. He also claimed that police were not on scene in time to stop the fleeing suspect or to attend to the wounded driver. The witness’ account contradicts two police statements that officers had arrived “within seconds” of the shooting and “had already secured the scene.”

Mr. Khunzam was pronounced dead in hospital. His family has requested privacy and will not hold a funeral.

Leave a Comment